Canesten Solution 20ml
- Brand: Bayer Consumer PLC
- Product Code: 0119222
- Availability: In Stock
£4.77 (inc VAT)
As this is a pharmacy medicine, we need to ask you a few confidential questions about your use of the medicine, so that our pharmacist can assess if it is suitable for you.
The cutaneous solution contains 1% of the active ingredient Clotrimazole.
Clotrimazole is one of a group of medicines called imidazoles which are used to treat fungal skin and ear infections.
Do not use Canesten Solution if you have previously had an allergic reaction to the active ingredient clotrimazole or the other ingredient, macrogol 400. If you are unsure about this, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying for a baby, tell your doctor or midwife before using Canesten Solution. If you have informed your doctor or midwife already, follow his/her instructions carefully.
Canesten Solution and Sofradex drops may cause a heat reaction when used together. Consult your doctor before using these products together in the ear.
The solution is for external use only and should not be put in the mouth or swallowed. If it is swallowed accidentally, seek medical advice immediately.
If you find that you still have this medicine after its expiry date, return it to your local pharmacist who will dispose of it properly.
If you are unsure of the cause of your infection, seek the advice of your doctor or pharmacist (chemist).
If Canesten Solution has been prescribed for you by your doctor, follow any instructions he/she may have given you.
If you have purchased this product without a prescription, follow these directions closely:
- For skin infections, Canesten Solution should be applied thinly and evenly to the affected area two or three times daily.
- If the feet are infected, they should be washed and dried thoroughly, especially between the toes, before applying the solution.
For ear infections, put 2 - 3 drops of Canesten Solution in the ear two or three times daily.
- To prevent recurrence, treatment should be continued for at least two weeks after the disappearance of all signs of infection.
The symptoms of your infection should improve within a few days of treatment although signs of skin infection such as redness and scaling may take longer to disappear. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may recommend that you use an anti-fungal dusting powder as well, particularly for treating athlete's foot.
You can help the treatment to work if you follow these simple self-help tips:
- Although the infected area will itch, do not scratch. Scratching will damage the surface of the skin and cause the infection to spread further.
- Keep the affected areas of the skin clean.
- Pay particular attention to drying the skin but avoid excessive rubbing.